Remember this is the total amount to feed and can include raw meaty bones or mix with a high quality kibble if you wish.
You may also wish to split the daily intake over two separate meals however this depends on your dog and your daily routine. For dogs with a high food drive, it may help to reduce scavenging behaviour.
Introducing new foods
When changing a dog’s diet, it’s recommended that new foods be introduced gradually over the course of a week or two. Some owners choose to mix their dog's old commercial food with the new raw meals over the course of a week or so.
Can I mix raw foods with kibble?
There are mixed opinions regarding this, as dry food and raw food digest at different rates.
We feel that it’s important to tailor your dog’s diet to your dog, and not the other way around. Go with whatever works for them, and take queues from their behavior, appearance and state of their stools. If it works, stick with it. If it doesn't, gently try an alternative.
How much should I feed my puppy?
Puppies require up to 10 percent of their body weight daily, and this should be split into 3 to 4 meals a day until they are about 6 months of age. From 6 months to about 1 year they should be fed twice daily. Once they are fully grown they can then be switched to one meal a day.
Safe food handling
As when handling any raw meat products, adequete care must be taken as raw meat may contain bacteria that can cause illness if handled inappropriately.
It is essential that you treat these products as you would any other fresh, raw meat products and follow these basic guidelines:
- Keep the product frozen until it is ready to be used.
- Defrost the product in your fridge over the course of 24 to 48 hours, rather than on your kitchen benchtop or in the microwave. This minimises the chance of tempertaure fluctuations which encourage bacterial growth.
- Never refreeze once thawed.Instead, choose the appropraite sized pail based on your dog's weight and meal plans.We offer a range of sizes to assist you in this.
- Once defrosted, use within 2 to 3 days depending on conditions in your fridge.The colder the better! Anything not served must be returned to the fridge immediately
- Assess the freshness of the remainder of raw pet food in your refrigerator to ensure they are suitable for feeding to your pooch and have not spoiled.